Monday, May 25, 2009

Happy Memorial Day Everyone.

I hope you all had a nice long weekend. I have always loved Memorial Day. I always loved walking from my Dads house early in the morning to Depot Town in Ypsilanti to watch the Memorial Day Parade my band brothers were always participants in. I loved following the parade to the cemetary at the end where they would have a ceremony and play taps and have a gun salute to honor the dead. I think a few of my bros actually had the honor to be the one playing taps. Cant remember who it is though. Anyways, the Marching Band aspect of band was why I wound up quitting. I played Saxophone 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th grade. In 7th and 8th is where you start marching and I was still a pudgy kid back then and I will never forget the rash I got from my fat legs rubbing together. I dont think the stylish corduroy pants that I wore back then helped any either. Needless to say, over the years I have had some nice Memorial Day experiences.

In honor of the day and those we memorialize, I would like to post some pics that I recently took at the National Cemetary here in Minneapolis near the airport. I went there to pass the time before picking up Linz and the girls from being separated after Linz's surgery. I have a thing for cemetaries. They are so peaceful and usually there is no one around so its a good place to gather your thoughts. Anyways, here are the pics. I think they are pretty sweet. At the same time poingnant, demonstrating the sheer number of those who have served our country in the Armed Forces. I wish I had an electronic copy of a picture of my dog Gruntly because I would like to honor his memory this day as well and all the good times I had with him for the 14 years or so that we had him. He was awesome and I cant wait to see him again someday.

Here are the pics. Dont forget the true reason for this day. Dont forget your loved ones from the past, or those who have died for our freedoms.





5 comments:

Stephanie said...

Thanks for the reminder of what the day was really about. I love your photos, I didn't know you were such a photographer! Great blog!

Kristen said...

Great Pics.

bethy said...

I often times don't think about the sheer number of those who have died in the defense of our county. I always get a little choked up about veterans and all of that. I always like to think they are great men and women who were so noble. In Church the other day we sang America the Beautiful and I actually got tears in my eyes at the line that goes:
O beautiful for heroes proved In liberating strife,
Who more than self their country loved,
And mercy more than life!
America! America! May God thy gold refine
Till all success be nobleness,
And ev'ry gain divine!

Thanks for the reminder Nate. Can't wait to see you guys.

Linz said...

I loved reading Beth's comment because you guys are total siblings. You all have cool thoughts about things.

Liz said...

I loved the photos because that is where my grandparents are buried! Instead of a cross at the top of their marker, they have an Angel Moroni!